Utility Assistance

If you are in danger of being evicted from your apartment or home for not paying your utility bills, these agencies may be able to help. Visit: http://www.philadelphiaofficeofhomelessservices.org/stay-in-my-home/assistance-with-my-utility-bills/

If you need more support, see the Legal Aid page


Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help you pay your heating bills or help in a heating crisis. Visit www.pgworks.com/liheap

The Utility Emergency Services Fund (UESF) grant is designed to pay off the balance of a customer’s unpaid utility bill and bring it to zero. Apply in person: https://www.pgworks.com/uploads/media/UESF-Intake-Sites.pdf

Crisis Assistance is a federal grant that is awarded to income-eligible customers who are either without utility service or have received a 10-day shut-off notice. Call 215-560-1583


The Water Revenue Bureau (WRB) and the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) offer a number of income-based water bill payment agreements for qualifying customers. Visit: https://beta.phila.gov/services/payments-assistance-taxes/income-based-assistance-programs/income-based-water-bill-assistance/

Customer Assistance Program to help with your water bill: https://cap.phila.gov/static/index.html

Rain Check helps you save money on home projects that protect Philadelphia’s waterways. Get permeable pavers, rain gardens, rain barrels, and more. Visit: https://www.pwdraincheck.org/en/

Homeowner’s Emergency Loan Program Guidelines. If you received a Notice of Defect from the Water Department indicating that your water and sewer lines are broken or leaking, you may qualify for the Homeowner’s Emergency Loan Program (HELP). Money loaned for repairs doesn’t accrue interest and is payable over a period of 60 months (5 years). Visit: https://beta.phila.gov/documents/homeowners-emergency-loan-program-guidelines/

Basement Protection Program Application is offered by the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) to help eligible residents prevent sewage backup and flooding in their homes. This document includes program benefit details, eligibility requirements, and an application form. Visit: https://beta.phila.gov/documents/basement-protection-program-application/

Legal Services to Help

Philadelphia Legal Assistance. We help clients who are having problems obtaining benefits from with the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).  We do not help with any other type of utilities problem. Visit: https://www.philalegal.org/utilities

Community Legal Services of Philadelphia. CLS’ Energy Unit handles disputes with PECO, PGW, and the Water Revenue Bureau/Philadelphia Water Department (WRB/PWD).   We provide clients with advice on how to access utility service,  low income customer assistance programs, and other services that are offered by Philadelphia’s three utility providers. Visit: https://clsphila.org/get-help/utilities